Thursday, August 18, 2011

A New Day. Just Like All the Others.

Well, I decided to start blogging as a way to share with the world all the incredible stuff I see my job (and sometimes at home). I'll admit, being a child therapist, my lens is slightly (and by slightly I mean big enough for a tank to drive through) biased. Every day I leave work and share with my sister what a disaster our society has become and how messed up the children, not to mention the parents, have become. No matter my optimism, there is always another child, family, person to help. Most the time they are paying me to tell them common sense. The funny thing is that when I was trying to come up with a title for this little adventure of mine life lessons my dad taught me were all that came to mind. I decided to go for s-squared, d-squared. This was my dad's way of saying that life is basically the same shit just a different day. No matter how different or "unique" the issues are that come into my office it usually boils down to S2D2. The current goal of this blog is to vent the ridiculousness I see and if it happens to get around and makes even one parent or teen more throughtful about life, that would be cool too.

A great example of this would be some parents that were debating whether or not to disconnect the cable or keep it on. They are concerned that all their children do is watch TV. Dad was all or nothing, and mom was thinking it was a bad idea. (Mom is usually the one stuck with the kids at home.) When I asked them about just monitoring and limiting tv usage, their response was basically that they couldn't. Really, you can't tell your kid no or unplug the tv. If you tell them to stop and they keep watching there is NOTHING else you can do? Hmmmmmm, interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment